Explore the rich and long-standing tradition of art glass in Kokomo, Indiana (located in Howard County.)
Take a fascinating factory tour at Kokomo Opalescent Glass, America’s oldest art glass company, in operation in its original location since 1888. Experience art glass that is hand-ladled and rolled from a 2,500-degree furnace and watch artists make stunning blown glass creations. Public factory tours are offered weekly on Tuesday-Thursday at 11:00 AM EST. Call ahead to book a tour.
See over 2,000 pieces of glass on display at the Greentown Glass Museum, including glassware produced by the Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Company in Greentown between 1894-1903.
See multiple stained glass windows, made with Kokomo Opalescent Glass, at the historic Seiberling Mansion, the magnificent home of the Howard County Museum. They also have a local history exhibit in the museum on Greentown and Jenkins glass.
Visit the Greater Kokomo Visitors Bureau’s website to learn more about these attractions, as well as places to stay, local restaurants, and other things to do!
Locations of Interest in Howard County:
- Kokomo Opalescent Glass – Explore the rich heritage and long-standing tradition of Kokomo Opalescent Glass, America’s oldest art glass company. Public factory tours are offered by reservation only on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays at 11:00 AM. During the tour, watch as glass is made, shipped all around the world, and hand blown by local artists. The OP Shop offers a wide selection of sheet glass, cast glass, rondels, and beautiful blown glass items. Classes are also offered throughout the year. Note: No open toe shoes or sandals permitted on the factory tour.
- Seiberling Mansion and Howard County Museum – Built in 1891 by industrialist Monroe Seiberling, the Seiberling Mansion and Howard County Museum features late-Victorian architecture, hand-carved woodwork, and multiple exhibits highlighting the history of Howard County. A special local glass exhibit features several pieces of Jenkins and Greentown glass.
- Greentown Glass Museum – Houses over 2,000 pieces of glass on display, including a vast number of pieces of glassware produced by the Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Company in Greentown between 1894 and 1903. Open seasonally.
- Crystal Wand Creations – This shop in Downtown Kokomo sells a variety of unique stained glass items and gifts.
- St. Patrick’s Church stained glass windows – Kokomo – appointments must be made in advance with the church office.