The Glass Museum in Dunkirk, Indiana (in Jay County) has over 8,000 pieces of glassware from 110 factories around the world. Explore a variety of artifacts including pieces from the Sistine Chapel, leaded glass windows, hanging lamps, hundreds of hand-blown and hand-pressed glass creations, and a leaded glass mural. You will not want to miss the pink chandelier that Carole Lombard had in her home!
The Indiana Glass Collectors Convention will be held in Portland, Indiana on October 6-8, 2022. The convention will be open to the public at the Wheel & Spoke (formerly Jay County Event Center) on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. For additional information, please visit the Indiana Glass Collectors Convention group on Facebook.
Visit the Jay County Visitors & Tourism Bureau’s website for places to stay, local restaurants, and other things to do!
Locations of Interest in Delaware County:
- The Glass Museum – 309 South Franklin, Dunkirk
See glass piece from the Sistine Chapel; Chandelier owned by Carol Lombard; There are over 8,000 pieces of glassware from 110 factories around the world currently on exhibit in the museum. Many pieces that were made locally in the state.
- Jay County Courthouse – Portland – Built in 1919, stained glass skylight, listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Jay County Historical Museum, includes glass displays from local glass factories – 903 E. Main St., Portland
- Arts Place – Portland
- Todd Opera House – Dunkirk
- 12 gas plants in Dunkirk
- St. Gobain Glass – Dunkirk (Production)
- Holy Trinity Parish, founded in 1860 – 7321 East State Rd. 67, Bryant
- Asbury United Methodist Church – 204 E. Arch, Portland – The large stained glass windows were given in 1903 by the Young Men’s Class taught by Mrs. J.C.L. McAdams and Mrs. Jason Henley.
- The Glass Bonsai – 110 S. Meridian St. Portland – Handmade stained glass items, restorations, and gifts
- Kathy Carfield’s Stained Glass Designs, sold in: The General Store, 115 S. Union St., State Road 1, Pennville, a store that also includes yard decorations and other lovely stained glass pieces.
- Mount Tabor United Methodist – 216 W Pleasant St, Dunkirk
- First Presbyterian Church – 402 North Ship Street, Portland
- Verallia Glass Production – Dunkirk; 2.5 million beer bottles for inbev (who bought Budweiser) 24/7 365 days a year; Employs 400 people; Mostly technologically advanced plant in the US.