In 1911, Chicago’s Johnson-Carlson Cut Glass Company came to Warsaw because their factory could not keep up with demand. What started out with 55 glass cutters 110 years ago has dwindled down to one. The original line-shaft, leather belts, and stone wheels are still operational.
Warsaw Cut Glass in Warsaw, Indiana (in Kosciusko County) is one of the last American facilities practicing the art of cutting glass, perhaps the only one using its original building and turn of the last century machinery. Locally owned since 1911 and located in downtown Warsaw, it’s one of the last U.S. companies cutting glass in its original building with vintage machinery offering distinctive hand-cut crystal gifts.
You’re sure to find a treasure here – goblets, pitchers, platters and bowls, just to name a few, all in gleaming hand-cut crystal. Watch glasscutters work their magic (call ahead for times), then find that perfect piece (or pieces) to take home. A signature pattern is “rye,” a delicate floral design carved into many of the works.
Glass cutting demonstrations are offered by appointment and hands-on experiences are offered in January through the beginning of March. Shop in-store or online. For more information, visit their website at www.warsawcutglass.net.
Visit the Kosciusko County Convention and Visitors Bureau’s website to learn more about Warsaw Cut Glass, places to stay, local restaurants, and other things to do!